Desired Attributes of an Engineer
* A good understanding of engineering science fundamentals.
- Mathematics (including statistics)
- Physical and life sciences
- Information technology (far more than "computer literacy")
* A good understanding of design and manufacturing processes.
(i.e., understands engineering)
* A multi-disciplinary, systems perspective.
* A basic understanding of the context in which engineering is practiced.
- Economics (including business practices)
- The environment
- Customer and societal needs
* Good communication skills.
- Written, oral, graphic and listening
* High ethical standards.
* An ability to think both critically and creatively - independently and cooperatively.
* Flexibility. The ability and self-confidence to adapt to rapid or major change.
* Curiosity and a desire to learn for life.
* A profound understanding of the importance of teamwork.