Related articles

Name: Kisladag mine.

Brief history: The feasibility study was completed in March 2003. The environmental positive certificate was received at the end of the second quarter of 2003, and the establishment certificate was received in December 2003. The zoning plan was approved in August 2004, and the construction permit was received in September 2004. The first gold was poured in May 2006. Commercial production began on July 1, 2006.

Brief description: Kisladag is a 14-year openpit heap-leach gold mine. At full production, the mine should produce 240 000 oz/y. The property area is 157 km2.

Products: Gold.

Mining method: Openpit.

Reserves: Total proven and probable reserves as at December 31, 2006, were 135-million tons.

Resources: Total measured, indicated and inferred resources as at December 31, 2006, were 260-million tons.

Geology: Kisladag is located in one of several mid- to late-Tertiary volcanic complexes, related to subduction along the Hellenic Trench, south-west of Turkey. In the Kisladag region, the volcanoes erupted onto a basement of schist at the north-east margin of the Menderes Massif. Gold mineralisation is hosted by a number of latitic intrusive bodies. The G?z Tepe alteration zone hosting the Kisladag deposit covers approximately 12 km2. At G?z, a coarsely porphyritic latite is host to the bulk of the gold mineralisation and has undergone extensive and intensive hydrothermal alteration. An early potassic phase of alteration is overprinted by later quartz-tourmaline and advanced argillic alteration. Gold mineralisation forms an annular zone around a later weakly mineralised stock of similar composition. Gold is associated with multiple phases of tourmaline-pyrite, pyrite and quartz-pyrite veining and brecciation and is accompanied by small quantities of base metals, principally zinc and molybdenum. Oxidation in the deposit is shallow over the barren intrusive but extends to depths of between 40 m and 50 m to the west and east. Limonite is the most abundant oxide mineral, usually occurring along fractures in thin colloform layers and in disseminated patches around weathered pyrite. The Sayacik alteration zone, located 5 km south-west of G?z Tepe, covers approximately 6 km2. Moderate to strong silicification occurs for approximately 1,5 km in andesitic tuffs. Quartz barite veinlets cutting the tuff contain up to 100 ppm of silver in grab samples.

Major infrastructure and equipment: The run-of-mine ore is hauled from the openpit and dumped into a primary gyratory crusher. The crushed ore is conveyed to a coarse-ore bin and then on to a secondary crusher, where it is screened. The ore is manually reclaimed by front-end loaders, and reintroduced onto the overland conveyor belt through a hopper. The ore is then transferred to an overland conveyor through a radial stacker and transported to the heap-leach pad. Ore is then processed in a standard heap-leach facility. Gold is recovered at the carbon absorption facility. The carbon is treated in the on-site refinery.

Prospects: Plans to increase production were originally set for year four of the life-of-mine; however, Eldorado Gold has decided to move forward with expansion activities in year two that will see the mine produce ten-million tons of ore a year.

Controlling company: Eldorado Gold (100%).

Contact person: Nancy E Woo, investor relations.

Unique features:
Kisladag will be the largest gold mine in Turkey when in full production.