Valve is a mechanical device that controls the flow of fluid and pressure within a system or process. The valve controls system or process fluid flow and pressure by performing any of the following functions:
There are many valve designs and types that satisfy one or more of the functions identified above. A multitude of valve types and designs safely accommodate a wide variety of industrial applications.
- Stopping and starting fluid flow
- Varying (throttling) the amount of fluid flow
- Controlling the direction of fluid flow
- Regulating downstream system or process pressure
- Relieving component or piping over pressure